Tuesday, May 12, 2009

A Slight Problem With Carrie Prejean

Well, it's official. Carrie Prejean will keep her crown as Miss California despite the controversy over her support for traditional marriage. I'm glad for that. I support Miss Prejean in her struggle against the intolerance of gay activists; however, I do have a slight problem with Miss California.

I didn't watch the Miss USA pageant but I did see a couple of excerpts following Prejean's controversial statement. One of them was of Miss Prejean strutting across the stage in a bikini, revealing almost as much skin as a Playboy centerfold. That rubbed me the wrong way. Carrie Prejean's opposition to gay marriage was, according to her, rooted in her Christian faith. She has spoken of her reliance on God's strength during this difficult time. What I don't understand is why Miss Prejean understands God's teaching on homosexuality but doesn't seem to understand His teaching on feminine modesty.

I've written about feminine modesty on this blog once before. I complained that too many Christian women who take modesty seriously think it means they have to dress like 19th century frontier women. Carrie Prejean seems to be the opposite exreme, a Christian woman who has no concept of modesty at all. And what's more, nobody seems to have noticed that. It makes me wonder what's going on in the Christian culture.

It's great to have young people stand up for Judeo-Christian principles in public but Christians, young and old, need to stand up for ALL of those principles. The Bible commands modest dress for Godly women. It doesn't give a specific description of modest dress but I'm sure it does NOT mean a barely there swimsuit. I don't think Carrie Prejean's wardrobe faux pas means she's insincere in her faith. I think it means that she hasn't been taught all the specifics of that faith.

For years femininsts have militantly opposed beauty pageants on the grounds that they objectify women. Surprisingly enough, I think Christians can and should oppose most beauty pageants on similar grounds. Public events that require women to strip, even briefly, to near nudity violate Biblical standards. I don't think Godly women shouldn't participate in such things. But Carrie Prejean did participate in such an event and it gave her an opportunity to stand for Biblical truth. So God made a way for something quite wordly to be used for His glory. Still, that bikini prance was a disconnect from Christian values. That's the slight problem I have with Carrie Prejean.

4 comments:

Seane-Anna said...

Here's a comment from my friend Robert at Wise Conservatism. He couldn't put the comment on here himself so he asked if I'd copy and paste it here for him. So here it is:

That slight problem is something that unfortunately will continue, as the Left, and the Politically Correct crowd work to get rid of the morals of the Religious right. They have been at it for decades, and will continue until we stop them or they get stopped by God Himself. Either way, this trend will be stopped. Sooner or later. Better for us that it is sooner.

Thanks for the spot on comment, Robert!

mwood6917 said...

I think Robert has a good point, and God will truly need to intervene for this to stop. This is happening at my school a lot, we have these "quote-unquote Christians." It does fluster me to think that they are "hard set on their Christian values," yet they are no different in anything than the non-Christians.

Good post

Matt

Linda said...

I agree with you 100%. I am glad Carrie was able to make her statement against gay marriage, but I was ashamed of her bikini image. I know the women who enter those contests know they will have to strip to almost nothing, but a Christian should be modest. The photos of her that have come out since the pageant are not a testimony either.

Robert is right on about the Left and the PC crowds have been working for years to rid the morals of the Religious right.

We can't have it both ways.

Nadya Dwi said...

What does the author believe about Christian teachings on feminine modesty, and how does Carrie Prejean's behavior relate to this belief? Visit us Telkom University